Monday, December 14, 2009

12-11 Cortland BOCES

Today was my final day at Cortland BOCES. I made sure to thank my host teacher at the end of the day. I was sad to go. A little part of me was sad at the finality of my observations at the school. I had learned so much. I enjoyed interacting with my host teacher and all the information that he gave me. I hope to be so gracious someday when I have a teaching position and can help a future teacher in their development.
On the final day we played "Capture the Nerf Football." This game was similar to capture the flag. I liked the creativity that it involved. The BOCES gymnasium is very small compared to the typical size you would have in most other schools. I was able to play during one of the classes. One student on my team was very athletic while there was another teammate who was not too far in his motor development. I made a concerted effort to involve him. This is what I learned through the Adaptive Program at SUNY Cortland. Inclusion is a very important aspect of Physical Education. Including students that typically get left behind can make a huge difference in the classroom. Not only are those students feeling good about themselves and learning, but it boosts the morale of the class. A comfort level for the student who is not necessarily a natural talent will only help other students feel like they can engage in the activity at hand.
I will miss going to Cortland BOCES and feel that I have gained valuable experience from participating and observing the past two months.

No comments:

Post a Comment