Monday, December 14, 2009

11-20 Cortland BOCES

Today was the last day of Pinball. At this point I could see that students were starting to get bored with the game. Some students were very aggressive with each other verbally and would even physically aim for each others heads. This just seemed to be a rowdy day. I noticed that my host teacher was not too thrilled about the behavior on this day.
I asked my host teacher if he thought the students were all riled up because they knew Thanksgiving was just around the corner. He partially agreed, but also noted the varying levels of maturity in all the classrooms. Some students I would ask him what their issue was seeing as this was a high needs school for students who couldn't handle the typical classroom setting. My host teacher explained to me how some kids sometimes have outbursts so even though I thought they were calm and well behaved, this was not always the case.
This was a valuable lesson to me because it showed that I cannot judge a book by its cover. Just because a student looks like they are well behaved doesn't necessarily mean they will be. There are always things to look out for in this regard.

No comments:

Post a Comment