Monday, December 14, 2009

11-6 Cortland BOCES

When I went to Cortland BOCES today I thought of all the things I might encounter while driving. I reflected before the day started. I did a hypothetical assessment of myself on what I could come across today. Just as I hadn't suspected such a quick outburst the previous week, I could only imagine what would happen today. It was such a quiet morning.
During one of the classes I was able to play because of the small amount of students participating. I had a lot of fun because I was really able to interact with my students. A positive part of the day was one of the classes there was a girl who was in a wheelchair. She was able to participate just like everyone else. There were some modifications made on her behalf. She was allowed to come closer to the pins to try and knock them over. She had a limited range of motion in her arms. Students of the opposing team would not defend the pins so as to allow her to throw the ball. I encouraged her to do her best because she was hesitant to try and knock over the pins. It made me feel so good as a future teacher because I knew she was happy simply because she was being included.
I learned today that Physical Education can be slowed down and modified in a variety of ways. I have learned how to do so in the college setting via lectures and labs. It was special to see concepts I've learned in action in a true classroom setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment