Monday, December 14, 2009

11-13 Cortland BOCES

Today we continued our Pinball unit. At this point I noticed students who were starting to develop strategy with the game. Since week one many of the classes made strides in their proficiency. The games seemed to be more competitive. I was able to play in one game as well. I think it helped the motivation level when I was able to challenge some of the students on the other team. Livening up the competition can always help motivation levels.
I tried to motivate one student who was rather obese. He stood around the entire class. It was tough to watch him play the game with such little motivation. I did notice that he garnered plenty of respect from his classmates. I tried to tell him that if he played with more enthusiam teh other students would join in.
I also experienced a flashback to my days as a student. Another student in the classroom was made fun of because of how "fat" he was. Kids were giggling and mocking him. My host teacher intervened, but I could tell that this is probably something that student deals with all the time whether it be in the gymnasium, classroom, school bus, or cafeteria. I learned today that although political correctness is at an all time high in our society, kids in general are still very ruthless with one another. It reminded me of the social obstacles that students need to overcome in order to feel comfortable with themselves in order to participate in Physical Education.
While being made fun of is not something that ruins my day as an adult, it has a tremendous effect on the lives of younger students. Sadly, these memories can last a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment