Tuesday, December 15, 2009

10/10-Leadership Conference

Today I spent a few hours at a Leadership Conference. Professionals in the Physical Education Department and a number of students were on hand to discuss what makes a good leader.
I was able to go over my philosophies that make up a good leader. Trust and respect are two things that I have noticed are essential as an authority figure. As a Resident Assistant I have learned that if my residents do not trust me they will not respect me. If they do not respect me in all likelihood they do not trust me. I was able to discuss these talking points with my fellow students and professors. We broke up into groups and discussed leaders in our lives and how influential they have been to us. It was certainly an eye opening experience. For me to have the opportunity to hear what others feel is important in a leader made me feel encouraged about the future. Dr. Casciani noted that his views 20 years ago are different than what they are today. The ability to adapt and change was discussed. This showed me that there is no single definition on what makes a great leader.
This conference was a good learning experience. I hope to go to many more. It is always refreshing to gather with professionals in your field who have similar interests.

No comments:

Post a Comment