Tuesday, December 15, 2009

10/24 Wheelchair Softball

Today I helped run a wheelchair softball tournament. Many students from campus came. I helped set up all the equipment in the LUSK fieldhouse. I was an umpire for this event. Some of the struggles students had involved maneuvering the wheelchair in the proper direction. Making contact with the softball wasn't necessarily easy. Students were unable to pivot their hips and had to use the upper half of their body to swing. I had some challenging calls to make as an umpire. Even in the adapted setting, things were very competitive. I should expect nothing different from any of my Adaptive students in terms of drive and motivation. Just because someone is in a wheelchair does not mean they are going to be any less competitive.
To me, this is a satisfying equalizer. I know that many in the field of education do not see the a student who has a disability can have the same drive as a student who does not have a disability. I feel that Physical Education spearheads acceptance and inclusion. This tournament was just an example of how students can be incorporated into engaging in physical activity.
Overall, the tournament was a success. Many people told me how fun it was. I talked to a few people about their experience. I asked what it was like for them to ride in the wheelchair and play softball as opposed to playing without a wheelchair. I have plenty of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment